PTA Reflections is a nationally acclaimed student recognition program to encourage artistic creativity. Students of all grades and abilities may participate by submitting original pieces of work in 6 categories (Dance, Musical Composition, Visual Arts, Film, Literature and Photography) against the theme of "Show Your Voice!"
Students will create their work of art AND write a short artist statement. Judging is based on both the artwork and artist statement.
Timbercrest Middle School can send 20 Reflections art pieces plus 6 Special Artist submissions to Northshore Council PTSA in December.
Those students' works of art will be celebrated at a districtwide showcase in January. Council will judge the pieces in each category and some pieces will continue onto State PTA and National PTA for further judging. Regardless of where a student places, our PTA will celebrate any student artist who submits a piece of art for Reflections.
Entries are due by midnight on November 18.
For more information and student packets (rules and forms) go to http://www.northshorecouncilptsa.org/reflections.html
Make sure you scroll down the page to see the student packet links in each category.
Entry forms and submissions for can be emailed to Buffy Anson at email@example.com.
There are six categories for you to express yourself in:
1. Visual Arts. Original print, drawing, painting, collage (cut and pasted materials such as clippings and photos), metal etching or punch work, fiber work or computer-generated artwork.
2. Photography. A single photo, panoramic, photo montage (one print of multiple original photos), a multiple exposure, negative sandwich photogram. Original black-and-white and color images are accepted.
3. Literature. Prose, Poetry, Drama, Reflective essay, Narrative, Short story.
4. Music Composition. Acappella, Blues, Choral, Country, Electronic, Hip Hop, Jazz, Latin, Musical, Orchestral, Pop, R&B, Religious, Rock, Symphonic/Concert Band and Traditional.
5. Dance Choreography. Ballet, Contemporary, Hip Hop, Jazz, Tap, Folk Dance, Religious Dance, Dance Ensembles (color guard/indoor guard), Ice Skating/Dancing and Gymnastics Floor Routine.
6. Film Production. Animation: Demonstrates motion by sequencing still objects or using computer-generated graphics. Narrative: Tells a fictional story developed by the student. Documentary: Presents facts and information. Experimental: Explores movement, light and montage. Multimedia: Uses a combination of different contents (text, audio, still images, animation, etc.).
Students with disabilities can submit entries in the Special Artist division. The National PTA Special Artist Division is an option for students with disabilities who receive services under IDEA or Section 504 to have the opportunity and accommodations they may need in order to participate fully in the program. The Special Artist Division offers modified rules and guidelines to ensure that every student has the chance to be part of the National PTA Reflections program.
You can submit multiple pieces in different categories, but only piece per category (i.e. a poem and a picture but not two poems or two pictures). The top three entries in each section will have their submissions go to district competitions. The top entries in district go on to state and finally onto compete nationally in this art competition. Your entry could win in a national art contest!
You can download the entry form from the WA State PTA Reflections page.
Get your creative juices flowing and share some of your amazing and creative ideas!